Pro Sanctis et Fidelibus

Sunday, August 27, 2006

St. Augustine of Hippo


Tomorrow's feast of St. Augustine of Hippo, bishop, confessor, doctor and father of the Church, has a special place in the Order of Preachers, for it was his rule which St. Dominic adopted for his Order.

Since readers will be familiar with his life it suffices to sketch some of the more salient points. Firstly he was born to a pagan father and Christian mother, who brought him up in the faith but as was the custom did not have him baptised. Through the aid of a generous benefactor he enrolled in the rhetoric school at Carthage and while studying he took a concubine, who bore him a son. He also became a member of the Manichean sect, which claimed to have special knowledge that led to salvation, believed in good and evil powers, rejected the Old Testament as coming from the evil power, looked upon the body as evil and practiced asceticism, and claimed to offer a rational solution to life's problems. The other influence on his life at the time was the pagan philosophers Cicero, Seneca, Plato and above all Plotinus.

After teaching in Carthage he went to Rome and received an appointment as professor of rhetoric in Milan. It was there came under the influence of St. Ambrose who received him into the Church, the prayers, sacrifices and tears of his mother having finally been answered. Together with his mother, son and a few friends he set sail back to North Africa but at the port of Ostia his mother died and he remained in Rome a year before finally returning to Carthage and Thagaste, where he established a small religious community.

While visiting Hippo, Augustine was made the bishop's auxillary and ordained. He turned himself to turning the city into a place of learning and sanctity, overseeing the formation of a number of bishops who would contribute to the greatness of the Church of North Africa in the fifth century. On the death of the bishop, Augustine ascended to the see in 396. For the remaining four decades of his life he divided his time between providing for the needs of his diocese and writing against the Donatist, Manichean and Pelagian heresies. St. Augustine died on August 28, 430 while the Vandals were laying siege to Hippo.

Lord Jesus, let me know myself and know You,
And desire nothing save only You.
Let me hate myself and love You.
Let me do everything for the sake of You.
Let me humble myself and exalt You.
Let me think of nothing except You.
Let me die to myself and live in You.
Let me accept whatever happens as from You.
Let me banish self and follow You,
And ever desire to follow You.
Let me fly from myself and take refuge in You,
That I may deserve to be defended by You.
Let me fear for myself, let me fear You,
And let me be among those who are chosen by You.
Let me distrust myself and put my trust in You.
Let me be willing to obey for the sake of You.
Let me cling to nothing save only to You,
And let me be poor because of You.
Look upon me, that I may love You.
Call me that I may see You,
And for ever enjoy You. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home