Pro Sanctis et Fidelibus

Saturday, July 01, 2006

The Precious Blood

The death of Abel told us that he must die,
a brother at a brother's hands.
The Paschal Lamb showed us that he must die,
His blood to be our redemption.
The sacrifices of the Law showed he must die,
the one Victim of the Law to come.
Isaias the prophet told us the must die,
with his bruises we would be healed.
The fate of the prophets showed us he must die,
the crowning witness of all.
He Himself told us that His blood would be shed
for the remission of sins
That His blood would be drink unto life everlasting
And the blood was poured out lavishly
In the Garden flowing to the ground
From His face when He was struck
From His back when He was scourged
From His head when He was crowned
From His shoulder when He carried the cross
From His hands and feet when He was nailed
From His heart when it was pierced
Until there was no more
One said: I am innocent of His blood
Others: His blood be upon us
One: I have sinned in betraying innocent blood
Lord, I will say all these
For indeed I have sinned
But let thy blood be upon me
That at length I may be innocent
"Drown yourselves in the blood of Jesus Christ"
Cried St. Catherine of Siena
by Archbishop Alban Goodier, SJ
Glory be to to Jesus, Who in bitter pains,
Pour'd for me the life-blood, From His sacred veins!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home