Pro Sanctis et Fidelibus

Friday, June 30, 2006

Struggles in the Stronghold

Latest news from Zenit is a study of the former bastions of the Catholic faith (France, Italy and Spain) indicates they are experiencing a real crisis of faith. According to the study, "despite the increasing number of Bibles in circulation, knowledge of the Scriptures and the Church is weak ... dissemination and knowledge of the Bible text takes place mainly at Sunday Mass, but less than half of all Catholics attend Mass regularly ... [and] religious knowledge is weak or non-existent."

From the Imitation of Christ, Book 4, Chapter 11, verses 4 and 5
"For in this life I find there are two things especially necessary for me, without which this miserable life would be to me insupportable. Whilst detained in the prison of this body, I acknowledge that I need two things, viz: food and light. Thou hast, therefore, given to me weak as I am, Thy Sacred Body for the nourishment of my soul and body, and Thou has set Thy Word as a light to my feet. Without these two I could not well live: for the Word of God is the light of my soul, and Thy Sacrament is the Bread of life. These also may be called the two tables set on either side in the storehouse of Thy holy Church. One is the table of the holy altar, having the holy Bread - that is, the precious Body of Christ; the other is that of the divine Law, containing holy doctrine, teaching a right faith, and leading most securely even to the interior of the veil, where is the Holy of holies.

Thanks be to Thee, O Lord Jesus, Light of eternal Light, for the table of holy doctrine, which Thou has ministered to us Thy servants, the Prophets and Apostles, and other teachers.
Thanks be to thee, O Thou Creator and Redeemer of men, Who, to manifest to the whole world Thy love, has prepared a great supper, wherein Thou hast set before us to be eaten, not the typical lamb, but Thy most sacred Body and Blood, rejoicing all the faithful with Thy holy Banquet, and inebriating them with the chalice of salvation, in which are all the delights of paradise; and the holy Angels do feast with us, but with a more happy sweetness."