Pro Sanctis et Fidelibus

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Random Liturgical Musings 3

Following from my last post, I thought I would include another couple of passages from Thomas Merton's The Sign of Jonas.

On the difference between a monk and priest.
"A monk under solemn vows can still be concerned first of all with his own perfection, his own sanctity - in other words he can confine himself to seeking his own spiritual advantage. The priest cannot legitimately put himself first in any way whatever: Christ is always first. A priest does not exist merely for his own sanctification but for the Sacrifice of Christ and for the Gospel, for the people, for the world. This implies his own perfection: but the perfection of a priest consists essentially in his offering of Christ's sacrifice perfectly, for himself and for the Church. He no longer belongs to himself, whereas a monk can very well belong to himself in a legitimate way, and be concerned almost exclusively with his own progress, leaving the salvation of the world on a secondary plane.

A priest must not put the salvation of souls above his own soul. There is no question of a choice like that. But he has to put God and the Mass before everything. He has the whole Church on his conscience, and he not only gives up his will in order to possess the virtue of obedience, he gives up his will in order to become an instrument for the salvation of the world and for the pure glory of God."


I have often had a strong desire to fly to a secluded monastery and spend the rest of my life seeking my own salvation and sanctification through a life of simplicity and solitude. But when I take a moment to think about it, I realise that one thing which I could well do with is an increase in charity and that the priesthood is the ideal way to give myself in service of Christ and his Church.

On the incensations at Solemn Mass.
"I love the prayers that go with the incensations at a solemn mass - the prayers and the ceremonies ... What could be more joyful than swinging the censer full of sweet smoke around the chalice and Host and praying that our incense may go up to God and His blessing come down to us - and that the fire of His everlasting love may burn in our hearts."


Since I began serving at the altar I have taken a particular interest in how priests handle the thurible, observing both the position of the hands relative to the bowl and how they actually swing the thurible. I must say that my own bishop, His Grace Archbishop Hart of Melbourne, has one of the most natural techniques.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home